Sunday, October 1, 2017

June 19, 2107 ~ Transfer 8 Week 1

Hi all!!

This week has been amazing! But the heat is picking up and it's a bit miserable but bearable. We have bunk beds and put one fan rotating on a dresser to reach the top to bunk beds and another rotating on the floor to reach the bottom two haha. But even with the heat we have had some miracles and tender mercies.

This week we were talking with people in the streets a ton to find more people to teach. And we talked with a TON of people this week. The past couple transfers we recieved only a few references weekly but this week we recieved easily 10-15 references (a reference is like a number or an address of someone who wants to meet and talk with us). We also had a miracle finding a friend named Mercedes. We had been passing by people's homes (people we know) to introduce my new companion to them. We weren't having any luck so we sat down on a bench and prayed to ask where we needed to be. And we both felt we needed to go to a place 3 metro stops over and talk to people there. We went and talked and talked. And then we found this lady named Mercedes who was wearing a shirt that said something like "summer time style" (in English). We stopped her and talked for probably about 30-45 mins about the savior and our Heavenly Father's plan for us (usually its not that long, we dont like taking up people's time but she had a bunch of questions). She was super excited to meet one day and has a ton of great questions. We both knew it was her that we were supposed to find in that area at that time. Also we had a young man from church come up to us and ask us to help him understand the scriptures. Last time we met 3 months ago he wanted nothing to do with the scriptures and we've only been just trying to be his friend. So that was a huge step.

Other tender mercies and miracles: i saw Hermano Gilberto Soliz one of my teachers from the MTC. He was behind me as I got on the metro and he bumped me with his shoulder. I did not expect it to be him haha =) it was so great to see him again! Ive now seen almost all of my MTC teachers once again! Its super weird to have seen almost all of them but it's also pretty cool. =)
-Yesterday we were in the street and had been walking around a while. We also had finished our water bottles off and had no more water. And we wanted some. So after trying a member's home and finding out that they weren't there, I saw a guy and decided to ask him if there was a public water fountain nearby (I knew there probably wasn't because there aren't a ton in Spain). And miraculously, he stopped, thought about my question and said "well I live just around the corner here, I can take your bottles and fill them up for you". A very tender mercy. A super nice guy from Italy. And the water was even cold. Haha I guess all you have to do is ask sometimes. =)

Some food moments:
I tried making arroz chofa (a peruvian dish) and it didn't turn out at all. It was super gross. I will have to attempt it again. I cooked the rice too long and it ruined it. Also we had ceviche this week! And we ate Burger King as a district (our group of 6 missionaries in this area).

And funny moments:
Coming home on Friday we were surrounded by jovenes (youth, teens) because apparently they were enjoying themselves with finals being over. When we got off on our metro stop, apparently all the teens did too. And we tried beating them to the escalator and succeeded. But then going up the escalator we were walking and near the top, I tripped. And the 50 jovenes (no joke) behind us started to laughed. The funniest part is that I wasn't embarrassed. Instead, I was just ticked off because I had gotten a stain from the grease of the escalator on my last clean white dress shirt. Haha =)
Have a great week!
Elder Openshaw

No comments:

Post a Comment