Tuesday, March 21, 2017

March 13, 2017 ~ Transfer 5 Week 5

Hi all!

There was an emergency transfer and Elder Baide from Honduras was sent to the Canary Islands (we share an apartment with him and his companion). And then Elder Whither was sent to serve here in Barrio 6. I will miss Elder Baide, we all thought he would be here for at least another transfer (he was only here for a month).

The work here in Barrio 6 (the 6th ward of Madrid) is going great. Last week we had an older lady from the ward invite us to her home and she is teaching English class to a 7 year old girl. And the lady was telling the girl "if you want to know anything about Jesus they can tell you everything you want to know". And this little girl is super excited to hear about Jesus. She loves all the pictures of Jesus and is was a super fun lesson. After the initial awkwardness it went very well haha. The lady had her sing "Nephi's Courage" (the primary song, in English) and dance to it and the little girl was super shy in front of three strangers so it was pretty awkward. The lady was singing with all her heart (with her eyes closed) and the girl was super timid and was kind of hiding behind the lady but kind of dancing. It was quite funny.

We are also teaching a small family of a mom and her twin girls. Super awesome family. Today there is a bday in their home so we will pass by with brownies later today. We found them through English class and a miracle of knocking on the wrong door when passing by members' homes (I think I already explained it in a previous email). Also we showed up at a member's home yesterday and the cousin of the mom (and did the brother in law) were there and so we thought them and answered the questions they had. The members here definitely help us quite a bit.

I heard from my last area (Oviedo) and Elder Hale told me that Katy is getting baptized! Which is a super amazing miracle. She knew the Gospel and the Book of Mormon are true and she was fighting it. But she had a super special experience and knew she had to act and be baptized. I'm so excited for her because I know she is ready. Also another person I was teaching with Elder Hale is on date for a baptism too which is awesome. It's great to see the work move along.

A side note: I never knew I was going to sing so much during my mission. We sang a musical number for a missionary farewell (which wasn't part of the sacrament meeting) and it went really well. A lot better than I expected. So now I've used my little bit of piano skills and voice skills. I have yet to be able to play the bass. I've seen two basses in the past 6 months.

I also got to see some youth from Oviedo! They were here for a EFY (FSY in Spain) counselor training so that was super cool.

This week's food: we had some wonderful Honduran enchiladas and some French food (chicken topped with egg plant and cheese, it was super good). I also made a smoothie for breakfast that had ice cream in it and topped it with whipped cream. Also had a gofre (a mini waffle covered in sugar) and those are usually quite good. We get fed well and it's starting to show a bit.

Funny moment: at English class we have all sorts of experiences. We have a basic class and and conversation class. I was teaching the conversation class amd someone named Anthony was talking with me and he speaks very loud English. And he randomly shouted something that sounded like "you look fetching". Apparently he was trying to say "flashy" but both those instances made me chuckle haha. English classes are pretty funny.

I know that our Heavenly Father loves every one of His children. He really does care about us individually. That's why He's given us His words from prophets who speak for Him. We have these words and we find them in the Bible, the Book of Mormon, conference talks and other books of scriptures. I like this scripture that talks about how the words from Christ will teach us all things that we must do. It says: "Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do." (2 Nephi 32:3). It is so true. When we read the scriptures we can receive the inspiration that we need to guide our lives. I know this because I am telling you from experience throughout my life of reading the scriptures and receiving answers to prayers and unspoken concerns. 

Have a great week! 
Love you all!

Elder Openshaw

Calle Fuerteventura 4, 2, Oficina 8B
28703 San Sebastián de los Reyes
Madrid, España

No comments:

Post a Comment