Sunday, March 25, 2018

February 12, 2018 ~ Transfer 13 Week 5

Hi all!

How's everyone doing? This week has been an interesting week. Fairly normal. Failed lessons and rejections but I'll give some highlights of the little things that made a difference in the week:

Monday:
I was doing an intercambio with Elder Packham and we ended the day with some calls. And while making calls someone rang our timbre (doorbell). I thought it was the other elders so I answered it with a slightly angry but playful "Dime!" (Tell me what you want). And it wasn't the other elders. Oops haha. And we just let them in. And then a couple minutes later we get a knock at the door and it's two Catholic Priests! Haha they were in the building to knock doors (they were basically kind of doing home teaching but to everyone haha). And they saw Jesus and thought it was cool that we were believers. It was wierd that we were the ones on the other side of the knocked door this time. It was quite funny.

Also, sidenote but we got to try "cecina" with the other elders - basically it is like jamon Serrano but it's a cow leg or a horse leg, this one was a cow. It was pretty good.

Tuesday:
Elder Packham and I were talking in the street and we found Sonia, a cousin of a member and she is interested about the gospel! She's super cool and it was cool that we got to find her (the elders didn't even know that this member had other family members here that might be interested haha).

Then Elder Packham and I went to a lesson with a less active. I was there, in that same house, teaching him a year ago on an intercambio with the Zone Leaders as a young missionary...it was super wierd being there again but cool to see how much he has progressed. He's an interesting guy haha. And he didn't remember me from our lesson 1 year ago. But this time I was able to understand him 100% haha last time I didn't understand him much (being a very new missionary and not speaking much Spanish.)


Thursday:
This morning we passed by Diana and we read scriptures with her (she actually asked us to read with her). If she wasn't working in the locutorio (internet cafe) everyday and all day she would probably be baptized.

Then we had weekly planning. I had to start the botillo because it takes 2-2.5 hours to cook and I want to make sure it's cooked because I actually have no clue what I'm doing (I just asked a member for advice). And in the end the Botillo turned out well! (Botillo is a cow stomach stuffed with pig ribs and tail; and some of the tail, especially the end, still have whiskers we found out...). It tastes basically like chorizo. And we made a soup with onion and cabbage and potatoes with the water that we cooked it in. The member's advice worked! And it was funny trying to convince my companion that it actually was a really good meal and that he didn't have to be scared. He was a little doubtful because I've never cooked it before and I've only eaten it once. But it all worked out. It was great haha. It was a fun experience.

Today I also realized that we don't really get to see the people who work normal shifts and get home in the evenings, we only see those who have time during the day to meet so Saturday's and Sundays are valuable for that reason, they are different people who we get to talk to.


Friday:
I also got some really pathetic conversations today. I started talking with one guy from Leon who faked an important call to get out of the conversation...if you don't want anything it's better just to say it...

And I got to play the bass today! I saw it and walked into the music store. I don't remember a thing. Like I remember very very little. I couldn't even play a scale or anything cool haha.

So...it was an interesting and long week to say the least. We are trying to find more people to teach (and we do have a couple really good investagators which is great).

I just want to say that I know this church is true. It's the same church that Jesus Christ established when on the earth. We have revelation in today's day through a modern a prophet. And I know we can get answers to prayers. I know Heavenly Father loves us and wants the best for us, His children. I know the Bible is true. I know the Book of Mormon is true. It's not because my parents told me. It's not because I "grew up" in the church. It's because I learned it on my own. I fought for my testimony and the ability to say that I know it's all true. And I've been fighting for a long time. And I've studied the scriptures on my own and I've received answers to my prayers about the Book of Mormon. And I cannot deny what I have felt.

Heavenly Father knew that it would be hard to believe that a young man named Joseph Smith saw God the Father and Jesus Christ and that Joseph was called as a prophet. So he gave us the Book of Mormon as evidence. I don't want anyone to take my word for it. I just invite you to read and ask God yourself that it's true. And I know you will get an answer.

Moroni 10:4-5:
"4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."

With lots of love,
Elder Openshaw

NEW ADDRESS:
Elder Martin R. Openshaw
Avenida de Tenerife, 11
28703 San Sebastián de los Reyes
Madrid, España


1) botillo pre-cooked
2) opened Botillo
3&4)the castle










No comments:

Post a Comment