Sunday, March 25, 2018

February 19, 2018 ~ Transfer 14, Week 1

Hi everybody!

This was an interesting week but I don't know where to start. Well, first off we had transfers! But there weren't any changes so I'm staying with Elder Kamber here in Ponferrada. And I'm pumped because it's a great place to be.

Earlier this week was Carnival so the kids don't have school and some people are dressed up. It's kind of like the USA version of Halloween.

On Monday we went talking to people and we needed to set up some lessons and so we went to McDonald's to sit down somewhere warm (which the options are limited) and set up some lessons. It worked well. There were a lot of people at McDs dressed up in costumes. And two Mormon missionaries sitting there tranquilo, doing the work of the Lord.

Tuesday was a busy day! It snowed which then turned into rain...just above freezing so it was cold. And I didn't use an umbrella which worked out okay. Although we ate at a member's home and they got upset I didn't use an umbrella :) Oh well.

We ran into a ton of people we know in the streets this week so that was fun. We even found our future investagator Adriano outside of a bar and Elder Kamber takes off his glove to shake hands and Adriano says "I'm not Trump! You don't have to take off your glove" haha. It was funny.

And we got pretty creative this week. We went towards the center because we were going to go on the big main pedestrian street to talk to people while using the pancarta (a posterboard/picture of Jesus) but there weren't a whole lot of people around. So we did a walking pancarta! We held the board as we walked and talked to people. It was hilarious because people either loved it or that hated it. It was really funny to watch people take out their phones to avoid making eye contact or avoid talking with us (and then putting their phones away right after they passed us). And the side glances from people were also very funny. They tried sneaking looks at it without being noticed by us (because they didn't want to talk but yet they were really curious). It was funny. We also found a hippy dude from Bosnian in the town center with a guitar singing songs about peace and love in English. We talked with him a bit, he's a cool dude and believes a lot of great truths.

We also have been trying to get a hold of another investigator named Hector and he finally answered but we soon find out he's at a church service. And it was pretty loud. And we ended up walking around town talking to people and we happened to run into that same church service (the door was open as we walked by) and see him in the back row haha. It was pretty funny.

If you haven't noticed by now, this week was mostly spent talking to people and trying to set up lessons. We had a couple good lessons this week and we are striving to have more in the coming week. I don't know if those stories were exciting at all but I hope something was enjoyable haha.

I wanted to share one of my favorite scriptures:
Matt 11:28-30
28 ¶ Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Life isn't easy. But if we allow Him, Christ can ease our burdens by strengthening us in our difficulties. He knows how we feel because He felt all of your sorrows and afflictions. I know that if we turn to Him in difficult times as well as easier times He will help us and strengthen us to become who we are needed to be. So I invite you to pray to Heavenly Father and ask for help and strength to become who He needs you to be.
Have an awesome week!
Elder Openshaw

1) Jose Mari - an awesome member. He's in cadiz visiting family but I wanted to get a pic in case I left


No comments:

Post a Comment