Monday, February 5, 2018

February 5, 2018 ~ Transfer 13 Week 4

Hi all!

So big news!
They are changing up the Mission boundaries!
The Malaga Mission is going to be closed so we will receive some of Andalucia and some other areas of the Malaga mission but we will be losing the Canary islands (and this may not all be correct, haha these are just how the rumors go). The changes will be put into effect when the new mission president comes in July (I will only have 6 weeks with the changes before I return).  

Soo...If there was a theme to this week, it was failed lessons. If I could put a sub-theme to the week it would be getting patted on the head haha.

On Monday, we did normal pday stuff (cleaning, planning, studying) and then we hiked to the top of Pajariel (a mountain behind our piso and the church). I was super short of breath and it was really steep. But it was really cool and worth it. It was a nice view of Ponferrada.

We called to set up a bunch of lessons (with flojos we find out). And then we hit the streets. We passed by a neighborhood and tried to get into some of the buildings which didn't work. Until my companion got creative and said "soy yo, abre" (it's me, open the door) and people let us in hahaha. Or we asked for a made up name "Luis". It worked almost every time.

Then we headed towards home and on the way there was a piece of trash in front of me next to the trashcan. So I lean over and pick it up. I felt like it needed to be done. And an old man saw me and thanked me for my example and patted me on the back of the head. It was pretty funny. I tried using the opportunity to talk to him but he didn't want to talk haha.

Tuesday
We had intercambios with the Elders from Leon. I was with Elder Jones and while we were eating sandwiches on a bench a homeless/hippy man wearing rainbow coloured stuff from head to toe (a rainbow headband, pullover, pants) comes over to say hi. And he patted our heads and asked if we had any food. I had just finished all my food and then Elder Jones had an apple which he gave to the guy. The guy proceeded to say thanks to elder Jones and he smacked me on the back of the head lightly. And then he went away. It was kind of funny.

Wednesday
This morning we took the Leon Elders back to Leon. And we had District meeting. The hermanas couldn't make it on time to district meeting because they were about an hour away so we had to do a little switching around to make things work. The APs called while we were on the bus towards Leon and told me that they would be skyping in for district meeting. We had district meeting after working out the logistics with the hermanas and the elders. The district meeting went well but I think the APs really saved it haha. We talked about teaching people not lessons, how we can be more like Christ and Nefi (the missionary, 3rd Nephi) and goals. It actually was really interesting because I had forgotten about part of what I needed to talk about at district meeting and after the APs had their thought and that they needed to go, they led right into the idea that I needed to discuss with the district. But in the end it seemed like the district members were edified and strengthened.

We got a call from someone who took our number from one of our posters for conversations of English! We've put a ton up around town and in schools in hopes that someone is interested. That was awesome. Now we will see if they show up.


Thursday
Then we had a lesson with Juan Carlos. Juan Carlos is making a ton of progress towards overcoming his weaknesses and he is preparing himself for baptism. It might take a bit but he's making so many changes in his life. His awesome.

Friday
A guy took out his cat to go pee as if it were a dog. It was hilarious because I wasn't used to seeing that.

No one came to English class so that was fun.

Saturday
Nothing noteworthy.

Sunday
Thankful that Azucena came to church and that Celia invited her! Azucena is a friend of a member and is super cool! We are meeting with her this week.

And a quick thought:
Sometimes it's hard to know if you are really making a difference. But the truth is that the Lord uses the weak and the simple to do His work.

Alma 37:6-7
6 Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.
7 And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls.

Heavenly Father knows our potential and knows what we are capable of becoming. As we seek His guidance He will be able to use our efforts no matter how inadequate, small, or weak we may feel. He loves us and desires the best for us. 

Have a great week!
With love,
Elder Openshaw 

No comments:

Post a Comment