Monday, April 16, 2018

April 16, 2018 ~ Transfer 15, Week 2

So this week has been interesting. All the weeks go by so fast now. 
Today we are going out to eat and see different parts of the island with some members.

On Monday, as we were doing pass by's, we saw someone that Elder Hydrick knew named Yarcia, as she was walking her dogs (and she had just arrived home). And to get to that spot in front of her house we had to go around a bunch of construction in the street but had we not gone around the construction, we wouldn't have seen her and been able to set up a lesson with her (and have her address). So that was really cool.

On Tuesday, we went to Granadilla and we met with Hermana Leidys and Angel. Angel came down with a broken TV in his hands and started trying to fix it on the kitchen table. Elder Hydrick helped him out while I talked to Hermana Leidys. And then Angel listened to a little message. We looked at our watch and realized we had 5 mins to get the bus but we just decided to share a message instead of sweat it with the bus. And then we ran and we got a different bus and did a little line switch. And we got home with good time. But it was interesting because we both felt that we shouldn't push with Angel and that we should take it slowly (we were going to teach the plan of salvation). We also both felt that when their daughter goes on a mission (which she is preparing to right now) it will help open his heart more to the gospel.

On Wednesday, we had district meeting over the phone again. This time was still weird haha. But it was good. We don't have a church building or Wi-Fi currently so over the phone is the only way. We talked about the spirit (in PMG ch.4) and receiving revelation for our areas. And it was interesting how the meeting changed according to the needs of the district (the meetings usually do) and that things were said that I wasn't expecting to say or to hear. But it was edifying for sure. I enjoyed it. I felt the spirit as we shared about stories in our lives about the influence of the spirit and examples of it. And how we've seen the hand of God in our lives.

On Thursday we were on the way back to Los Cristianos. 
Funny moment: tons of chavales (youth) were on the bus and right before hopping off at one stop, one dude looks at us and bows with his hands together and says "amen" (as a joke to make fun of us). And then he and his buddies get off and are laughing a ton. I laughed too haha. It was funny.

When we got back we sat in the foyer of our apartment building using the free Wi-Fi that we found from a nearby store (we do what we can to work smart and efficient haha) and we cleaned up the member records a bit. The funny thing is we probably met 10 neighbors as we sat there for 15-20 mins. And we also had to keep turning on the main light so that when our neighbors saw us, they went scared or surprised hahaha. But the main light turns off every 2 mins leaving us in the dark.... (so we pressed it about 10 times haha).

On Friday, we did correlation on the beach. It was nice and calm as we sat on some rocks over by the coastline talking about the work (it wasn't beach with like sand, instead it was lots of rocks like la Coruña). Apparently the ward mission leader wanted us to meet him at the old capilla location and I didn't know where it was at and I thought my companion knew. And apparently my companion didn't know and so the ward mission leader hermano Guzman says "next time I'm just speaking to you in English so I know you understand!" Haha and he does speak good English.

Then we quickly took the guagua (bus) to Adeje. We talked to people on the bus. I talked to an Andaluz from Sevilla and he was pretty cool. I shared the restoration briefly but he wasn't that interested. Then he gets off the bus and I realize that the two ladies behind me sound like they are speaking Russian. So I'm fighting myself for like 10 mins on how to ask them if they are Russian (because I'm really not THAT familiar with Russian). And so we get off the bus and I rush to catch up to them and say the word "ruski" (means Russian, it had been in my head since the beginning of the 10 min mental fight I had haha and it's not a word I usually remember so I felt it probably was the Spirit and I knew for that reason they probably actually were speaking Russian). 

Anyways, I say "ruski"? And they said something like "da". And then I said "cak de la?" (How are you?) And they said "atleechna" (great) and then proceeded to ask me a question about whether I was studying in the university nearby (or at least the word was pretty similar to university as well as the body language). I don't know Russian so I replied in Spanish and they didn't understand and then I tried English and they still didn't understand. But it was a cool experience. I hope it helped with something.

Then we passed by Gerelin. She has been pretty flojo with our texts so we decided to drop by. And it turned out to be a miracle. After a little talking at the door we were invited in. Gerelin's cousin, Mildre just got here 2 days ago from Colombia. And Mildre has desires to know if the Book of Mormon is true and if Jose Smith was a prophet. It's really cool to see someone with those desires. The lesson was choppy at times but it was explained really well. It was hard to teach since I haven't taught a full restoration lesson in months. But it was a very thorough lesson and they understand what they need to do. I love when we actually get to teach people and when they are willing to just give things a try. All we ask is that they ask God if what we are telling them is true. And most people aren't willing to even try. But I know that if we ask, Heavenly Father does answer our prayers.

On Saturday we played soccer and did a mini preach my gospel class for two youth here. And hermana Maria gave us a bunch of American food - she gave us herseys chocolate bars, a jar of reeses peanut butter and peanut butter cup cereal. It was an apology for not having the bottle of Hersheys chocolate syrup they promised hahaha. It was a well accepted apology haha.
On Sunday, it was our last day meeting in the hotel! We finally will have the capilla back in Los Cristianos, they finished the renovation.

And on Sunday evening we did a little door knocking. We prayed to find people who were prepared and who would talk to us. And we did. We had a very nice Russian lady let us in the building (I know that probably doesn't seem like anything to you but that doesn't happen much...) and I used the extent of my Russian this time too. I wish I knew more basic Russian haha. But I can have a 5-10 sec conversation and that's it. And then we found someone who listened to us and let us share our message. She didn't want anything but she was really nice and gave us water and a little crepe with nutella as a very snack. People here on the islands are way different than what I'm used to haha. They are very relaxed about just about everything.

This week I've thought a lot of Jesus Christ and about how He helps us in our trials. Most of the time, trials aren't taken away. Nor sometimes are they even made easier. But He strengthens us so that we can take on the trial and that it seems to become easier (although really it's only easier because we got stronger). He suffered for us and He knows each of us personally so that He can help us individually.

Alma 7:10-12
10 And behold, he shall be born of Mary, at Jerusalem which is the land of our forefathers, she being a virgin, a precious and chosen vessel, who shall be overshadowed and conceive by the power of the Holy Ghost, and bring forth a son, yea, even the Son of God.
11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

Spencer W. Kimball once said "Sometimes the solution is not to change our circumstance, but to change our attitude about that circumstance".

Have a great week!

With love,
Elder Openshaw


With Elder Hydrick and Members from the ward in Canary Islands:


No comments:

Post a Comment